Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Alston 2007 II

 
Just when I thought I hadn't got a picture of the silk spinning, look what I found... See that pink stuff? It's a silk cap and it takes some amount of working, let me tell you. I am going to try the advice in the link if I ever spin a silk cap again (which is to wear surgical gloves), because my fingers were a bit of a mess after. Come to think of it, I might try chain mail gloves - I think that is the level of protection that is required. I much prefered the silk top which was a delight to spin

Our instruction was provided by Joyce**, who is a lovely lady - she used to be a member of the Craven Spinners*, I believe, and as it is their members who organised the event I expect she was even more welcome ;0) The bag of goodies which is being held up for the camera is the mix of merino and silk that we were using over the weekend.
*Edit: Eeek! Screaming of brakes and a dashing back to Blogger. I believe that the Bowland Guld may have been involved....whew, did I get away with that? Will I be allowed back next year....?

Here are a couple of reprobates for your delectation: First up is Hazel, or Haxel, as I like to call her Next we have Maxine and I like to call her, well, Maxine.... Have you noticed the variety of wheels, by the way?

Now, I know that the weavers will moan ;0) so here is another example of Krokbragd weaving . Isn't the internet a marvelous place? I typed in a few random letters and managed to get a decent link. I believe that there were a few difficulties at the beginning of the class, but what do you expect when folk swing from the rafters instead of settling down to work? Thanks goodness one or three folk got their fingers out ;0) (Yep, I've got one more sample to show, but not just yet....)

So, Number Guy - here is the proof. We WORKED. All weekend. There was no revellry. No gossiping. No quaffing of ale. No eating of vast quantities of food....

**And, while I like to call this fine lady 'Joyce', her name is in fact 'Jean'...

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger sarah said...

But isn't the end result of spinning cap interesting? I've barely avoided cuts on my fingers (so far), but I love the characterful yarn it makes. Mind you I haven't dared try pure silk yet. Have you seen http://www.thesilkworker.com ? She ships to the UK.

8:16 am  
Blogger Spindlers2 said...

Glad you ahd a good time! Oh - and that might just be JEAN, not Joyce. Just sayin' (g)

12:20 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

test

1:52 pm  
Blogger Flavaknits said...

It sounds like you had a great time - won't even start to pretend i understand the difference between silk cap/top etc. etc. (I'm not worthy..... )
Reminds me of that wonderful day i had last year, and how I've not ever thanked you properly for your hospitality - i will repay in kind one of these days!

9:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home