Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Thousand Splendid Suns

 

Have you ever been so caught up in a novel that you find yourself enraged at the treatment that one human being is doling out to another? You find your stomach clenching at the petty cruelties handed out so carelessly, yet with so much thought behind them. A Thosand Splendid Suns is having that effect on me.

Khaled Hosseini writes a mean tale, on more than one level, and as I listen to the audio version, I find myself hoping that Laila and Maryam's husband gets his dues. Not very Buddhist, is it?

It isn't a very relaxing 'read', but I highly recommend it.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi India ... it's me! Just read your post on the Black Dog - we really need to get together to talk sometime.

Love
Helen
knitting at tncat dot co dot uk

9:45 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Isn't Karma something to do with Buddhism? :)

10:52 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Sure is - I was thinking about my own Buddhist leanings - supposedly wanting every living being to be free from suffering, but I just couldn't do that for Rasheed ;0)
India

7:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

M'dear, m'darlin - you are always thought provoking. I have learnt to watch and listen to the black dog who walks with me. It is of course simplistic to think that knitting can 'cure' the hounding of the hound, but on the days that one row is an accomplishment, it is good to have a marker for any success.
As for books - I am page-turning Cloud Atlas at the moment, eager as can be!

9:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home