Thursday, July 05, 2007

Reduce, reuse, recycle

 

Well, I've just managed to put my eyes back in their sockets.... I was Googling 'Kaffe Fasset shirt quilt' because I'm going to make, well, I guess you can figure it out ;0)
Now, while I realise that Google can throw up some pretty weird results, I was, quite frankly, astounded. And while I wouldn't classify this as a 'family blog', I have decided to spare my blushes - and yours - by not quoting some of the results. For those of a more 'curious' nature, let's just say I had managed to type in 'Kaffe Fasset sh*t quilt' .Without the asterisk. With an 'i'. Indeed

So, moving along, I had hoped to show you a pic of a finished 'shirt' quilt top, but even when I did manage to get the right phrase, I still couldn't find what I was after. Anyway, having decided to make this my first foray into quilting, it was only when I had actually purchased 5 half-yards of shirting that the light bulb came on - Why not use cotton shirts from the charity shops? Why not indeed. So here are 9 of my '15 different fabrics' - the bottom four being the shirts I bought today. All 100% cotton, costing about £14.00 total.

I want the finished quilt to be quite light, so I'll be focussing aquiring on lighter stripes.

The sewing will be on hold for a little while, though. As well as the assignment to do (why am I always doing an assignment?), I'll be off to Alston Hall tomorrow for a spinning weekend. This is the fourth year that I've been and it's great - both in terms of value for money and the company. And it has to be said that the staff go out of their way to be helpfull. And there's breakfast, morning coffee, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner......I'm bound to come back spherical

Tha also means that I'll be maintaing radio silence - if you get in touch with me I won't be able to reply until late Sunday - while I'm happy for my dear mum to house sit, I don't think either of us would be happy if I let her loose on my blog ;0)

Have a great weekend - I know I will !

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, not that good India, I will probably buy more for myself soon...

Your quilt top sounds lovely, I have been halfway through a quilt made from old shirts for a very long time, one of these days I will actually finish it. I look forward to living vicariously through yours in the meantime.

3:29 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

As a complete aside, I must just share with you that the word "spinning" means something totally different to me ... as I've only recently contemplated turning raw fiber into yarn or thread, but for several years now I've been going to the gym ... to a class called "spinning."

Picture a half-circle of exercise bikes cupped around a drill instructor, loud music, and lots of spandex. That's spinning to me.

So, when you say you're off to a "spinning weekend," I picture a bunch of people in spandex, sweating, for a whole weekend.

I dare say that your weekend's much nicer. ;)

5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home