Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Comfort food

 
Honey, maple syrup, tea, coffee, flour, tinned tomatoes, pasta... a bit of an eclectic mix, that.

But the reasoning behind it is quite simple - I am living in a time of plenty. When I was growing up, we were almost on the bread line - in other words, money was very scarce

I was often hungry, but fortunately it was only that real hunger that comes from working up an appetite, with no rubbish inbetween meals to fill you up. I was never in danger of starving.

But treats were rare, and only ever bought one at a time.

Today, when I ran out of maple syrup, I went to the store cupboard and got another bottle out - and that left another spare. I looked at my neatly ordered cupboard (yep, Number Guy puts the shopping away!) and appreciated once again how fortunate I am that I can buy what I want, and don't have to strike item after item off my list until the bare minimum is left

A cupboard full of food - comfort indeed.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

The problem comes when you realize that you've 5 of something ... like maple syrup. We occasionally call "moritorium!" when looking in the cupboard for space to put something away ... because we've been reminding ourselves to buy that same something for several trips, and now have too much. And then, a year later, when the plethora runs out, it all begins again....

You're good, though, if you can keep it in your cupboard and not on your person in the form of extra weight - that's where we tend to keep it, which is a struggle. Same roots, different solution.

4:17 pm  
Blogger yvette said...

We were the same as kids but now there is always at least one spare of the essentials, we do sometimes run out of wine though, funny that!

5:17 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Things were tight when I grew up too, I remember the stress caused when my parents had to buy my grammar school uniform. In the last 10 years my own family's fortunes have been very up and down and it really makes you appreciate the good times. There have often been times when I have had to be very creative with my grocery budget but thankfully things have been looking up in the last year or two, it has really taught me not to take anything for granted though and be thankful for all the good things.

10:11 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Meant to say.... thanks for the comment on the apron, that Lotta book is really great isn't it? I am thinking the wall organiser might be next, one for each of the children's rooms for all those comics and things.

10:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, we have no idea really how lucky we are today living where we do and having ample spare maple syrup to hand let alone the real essentials to life too. Have just spent the last few days on a river trip which at first entailed a lot of driving through the farm belt out here in CA - I certainly looked at it all in a new light after some of the reading I have been doing lately.

12:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home