Monday, June 25, 2007

Backpack III

 

Well, if I was chocolate, I would eat myself - but the credit should really go to Leisl

This is such a great bag. I wanted to do the whole 'in the garden' thing, but the weather in Glasgow isn't so good, so we're doing the 'by the window, looking into the garden' thing. Just peeking out of the top is the magnetic snap that came with the pattern, and that was really easy to fit. Adding the rivets to the handles was a bit more of a fiddle, but ok in the end.

I followed the instructions almost to the letter - the only two things I did differently were :
1 I applied glue from a glue stick to the right side of the zip tape, then used an iron to 'set' this onto the fabric. That way I didn't have to tack (baste) the zip or use pins It worked out really well.
2 I added a keyring loop, visible on the right side of this picture. If you know me, you won't have to ask why...

The pattern was very well written, so that even as a newbie sewer I managed to do a great job - I was slightly confused about the way to stitch the 'window' around the zip, but that was because I was a bit tired. Being a bit more sewing 'savvy' now, I didn't sew this section until I'd had a break, read the pattern again and then realised what to do.

One of the great things about this bag is that it is a tote as well as a backpack -here you can see the bag in backpack mode - cool, isn't it?

As I said in Backpack I , I was very careful about how I placed the pieces. As you can see, it was worth the effort - there's no point in using material like this if you're not going to make the most of it. I am definitely going to make more of these bags - I'm thinking some Amy Butler or Heather Bailey fabric. But I'm going to get that rotary cutter first.

In the meantime, I have a retro dress pattern that is next on my list, but before I go, here's what I whipped up while I was waiting for Number Guy to get the heck off this computer.

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

That has turned out fab, you must be really pleased. People would pay good money in shops for something like that. x K

4:48 pm  
Blogger Liesl Gibson said...

Oooh, I love it! So glad it turned out well for you!

7:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quit your job, sell the kitchen sink - I believe you've found your niche! The attention to detail you've put into the bags shows and looks lovely, you are a clever thing. I lack the extreme patience needed to sew well, and as we all know:

Patience is a virtue, possess it if you can, is mostly found in women, and seldom in a man - with the exception of me and sewing! hehe

11:48 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great!

11:49 am  
Blogger Nicki said...

That works so well, it looks so fresh and chic.

I have that pattern too but i just can't decide on fabric - keep changing my mind...

2:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow India that is fabulous - love the fabric you have chosen and how you have placed the images. Enjoy using it.

2:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work! I can't wait to make mine. I love the fabric you chose.

3:38 pm  
Blogger Wee Minty said...

It's all smashing - wish I didn't hate doing it!

4:53 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

http://www.u-handbag.com/index.php?main_page=define_main_page

Do you know this site my dear? x K

8:31 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that is such a lovely bag India, I have the pattern too but haven't got around to choosing fabric yet, I love the toile and now have bag envy. Will have to head to the fabric shop soon. I think you have become a most accomplished seamstress, not a newbie anymore.

11:43 am  
Blogger yvette said...

Fabulous

2:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO impressed. And that pocket on the inside with the zip - WOW!

9:18 pm  
Blogger Flavaknits said...

Bag looks fabulous! And those pincushions are so cute (is that from the Tea-Towels?) I can see you with a stand at the next craft fair!

9:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos. It's a fantastic bag!!!

5:59 am  
Blogger Janey said...

That bag is just stunning! I am in awe of your patience and talent!! Well done!

5:09 pm  
Blogger Whitney said...

Cute bag, I really like the design! I recently made a bag and an apron out of fabric very similar to yours. There's some pics of it in the link.

http://aglanceatmyworld.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-purse-for-me.html

6:18 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can u find the pattern for this great bag?

6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home