Sunday, May 06, 2007

Update Chez India

 
Well, seems like a lot has been happening here of late, but when I stop to consider, there hasn't been much at all. I think that soaking up the sun (well, dappled shade, actually) must be really hard work.

I'm still off work, having various investigations - honest to goodness, I reckon I'm going to get Frequent Flyer miles with the NHS fairly soon...
On a strangely positive note, I had a mini cardiac episode yesterday. It was positive becasue I had the Cardio Call event monitor with me, similar to the one in the link. The 24 hour and 5 day machines have so far failed to catch anything, but the Cardio Call is all mine for 1 month. Although I didn't have any arrythmia, I did have the tachycardia, so at least they caught that!
In the meantime, I am trying to get as much gentle exercise as I can (note to self, digging out a compacted compost heap is not gentle exercise and it's no bloomin' wonder you felt so unwell after....). On that note, Number Guy made me a raised bed and I pretended to be Lady Rosemary. pottering about with various seeds and salad vegetables.

As you can see, this is not the biggest bed in the world - more of a narrow single than a queen- or king-size. I've snuggled up beetroot next to spinach at the head of the bed, while the foot end is seeing a Three Sisters set up. It might not work - probably won't !- but it's a bit of fun.

When I haven't been pottering in the garden, I've been doing a little more sewing (two types of sewing in one blog, eh?!). First up, a denim 'Thai fisher skirt' . Like the first one I made, I love it.

Particularly the metal buttons that I added to three of the four raw seams

Flushed with that success, I made a doorstop to keep the two great escapers where I want them. Like other folk who have made this , I found that the '5lb of dried beans' was a bit of an underestimate. I stopped after I had used all of the out-of-date pulses and rice that I could find lurking in the cupboards (which was a scary 81/2 lbs...) The pattern is from Simple Sewing, Lotta Jansdotter. For a newbie sewer like me, this is an excellent book - the fact that the full-size patterns are included, is a big plus.

Well, on that note, I'm off to think a bit about my assignments - I'm trying to make use of the time off to catch up on this work, as I wasn't up to it previously.
I may be some time....

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Hey :)
Glad you caught something on the monitor at last - hope you are OK.

Love the skirt! - I made one too [to be blogged soon], more of a practice really as I made it with tartan fleece, but I love it as a slouch around the house skirt.

See you soon
Elaine x

9:08 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the skirt and door stop are so cute! i hope all is well on the "ticker" front...I'd lay off digging for awhile....

10:50 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Oh, I'm sorry for you having to wear a monitor for a whole month, 'though it's good that they're finding whatever it is.

With your raised bed, you might consider tucking the netting inside the edges. A friend of mine did this when he discovered that fog tends to condense on plastic mesh, and will run down into the bed if you angle it right.

3:37 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Yeh, the digging was such a bad idea....
One of the good thins about this particular monitor is that I just carry it around me and use it when I have an 'episode' - I must look like a right Charlie when it happens outside, since it has to go on the middle of my upper chest, next to the skin, and I have to lean forward and stay like that for one minute. Oh well, all's well that ends well
India

9:01 am  
Blogger yvette said...

Hope you are keeping better. Your new skirt is fantastic, I love your buttons.

10:50 am  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

That sounds ... not so bad. I guess.

I passed out a few times & ended up going through the whole rigmarole: halter monitor for 24 hours, stress test, tilt table test. Aside from having squares of glue which lasted forever, the halter monitor wasn't all that bad, even to wear it for a whole day. But the tilt table? That one was truly awful, mostly because they give you an IV drug to make you more susceptible to issues with your carotid bodies, and it lowers your bp. I felt like I was going to pass out, all clammy, for a good 15 minutes, while being tilted all over the place to see if they could trick my brain into making me pass out. Yuck.

Hope they find whatever it is without you needing to go through "hellish rigmarole." Not that needing to really has anything to do with it or anything, if your doctor "wants to be safe."

5:36 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

The skirt is beautiful!!

I hope they get what they need from your monitor. And that it's a simple remedy for you.

12:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home