Monday, April 23, 2007

Actual Knitting Content

 
Hard to believe, I know. Of late this has been more of a cooking, baking, sewing, anything-but-knitting blog.

But I was inspired (OK, I'm a copy cat) by the Oak Leaf Shawl that I saw on Yvette's blog. The problem was I just didn't know what yarn to use. I have some lovely alpaca and some simply gorgeous purple Zephyr Silk that a Secret Pal sent me - but these just wouldn't do the job, IMHO. Why? What's wrong with Zephyr? Nothing, nothing at all and I can't wait to use it in just the right pattern.

The trouble here is quite simple - the pattern was too simple for these yarns. The Zephyr is just crying out to be something light, airy and intricate. What I needed was a not-so-'plain' yarn. I wonder if this is why Yvette chose to hers in those broad stripes? I was tempted....but no, I couldn't. I had to come up with my own solution. I considered some of my other yarns, but the variations in colour were too bold. Finally, a little light began to glow. It was a bit like the whole energy saving bulb thing - you know, starts off really dim but before you know it - POW! Completely dazzling.

Shaeffer Anne bought a couple of weeks ago from Fankle. A sort of 'semi-solid' in deep purplish-pinks (Don't you just love my lyrical prose....?)
Knit on 4mm needles I obviously had to do more repeats than the pattern stated. I could probably have done a few more but having frogged it back once to add in some more repeats I was loathe to do it again.

I foresee many more of these emerging into the light.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its simply beautiful! What a great pattern - its on my "list". Lovely yarn too. I've not seen it in real life but have heard lots of good stuff about it!

2:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! I know what you mean about the marriage of yarn and pattern - and that's a marriage made to last! What a lovely way to showcase the yarn, and to appreciate the beauty of simple stitches... Oh, I like the oak leaf edging, too. ;)

2:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow just the photo to lift my spirits on this monday morning. Absolutely beautiful - the drape, design, colour, yarn - everything. Lovely, just lovely....

3:47 pm  
Blogger yvette said...

It is gorgeous India, I do love this pattern, might be the only thing I would knit again, for the 3rd time.

7:34 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh this is gorgeous India, such beautiful colours.

6:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home