Monday, April 16, 2007

What's your learning style?

 

Mine is definitely trial and error. In other words, I screw up a lot...

Eventually, though, with lots of blood (man, pins are so sharp), a fair amount of sweat but thankfully no tears, my first sewn hat is complete.

Trial and error was also involved in the picture taking - ever tried trying to get a hat picture sans model? Mr India was being very unhelpful and working late - not that I was aiming to have him model the hat, but now I come to think of it....

I give this hat 6/10 in the satisfaction stakes. You might not notice, but the slight ripple effect on part of the lining is the evidence of my screwing up. I topstitched the outer shell, the interfacing and the lining together in one piece - I think that is why there are ripples - the lining and shell are cut from the same pattern and I think this means there is slightly 'too much' material on the inside. If I had read the pattern correctly, the topstitching is done seperately and the interfacing slipped in afterwards....

The top of the hat and the sides are a real beggar to stitch together. Appently one notches the material before sewing to ease the fit. Well, Heather and Yvette might, but I had a few problems.

I also find the shape of the hat a little odd - I don't think 'cloche' is quite the word I'm looking for, but the hat is a bit sharply angled in profile. If Mr India ever stops working, I'll show you what I mean. But still, for a first attempt, not bad.


PS The ripple is really onvious here - but you know, I kind of like it....

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Flavaknits said...

Very Good for a first attempt - like the colours, not sure if they would suit Mr India tho'!

10:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm most impressed and just in time for summer too! I love the way sewing is so quick - makes you wonder why we insist on knitting?

1:35 pm  
Blogger Dan said...

I'm a bit of a trial and error-ist too. Instructions are just the manufacturers opinion of how something should be done. :-)

Hat looks good though, I'm lucky to work digitally most of the time so no-one see the error bits of trial and error...

1:43 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I like the ripples. And I've even seen hats in stores with them, so not to worry - unless you want to, of course. ;)

Tulle works quite well, wadded up, for taking pictures of hats. It plumps them out nicely & lets you get everything all perfectly shaped.

4:48 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

I like it, it's very summery. When I need to show off a hat I use a soft toy, but that's just me :-) You seem to be on a bit of a sewing kick at the moment.

10:13 pm  
Blogger Wee Minty said...

Learning style? If I'm not good at it right away, I don't like it and don't do it anymore.

Hat is great. Well done you! The 'ripple' looks the same on yours as on any others I've seen and I haven't even thought anything of it! Anyway, you like it and if it rocks your boat ...

BTW, spot on with the tablets. And I think the same as you about medecines!

11:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think the ripples look fine, just a sort of quilted effect. Looks like you have done a great job to me, I just finished a hat for Tilly, it was my first hat and it was tricky.

2:01 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

and I meant to say...

Re: Japanese Craft books, I will try and do a post soon on my favourites, I think I have posted about a few of them before, mine are mostly bags and children's clothes. The bag ones are lovely, simple to follow and lots of inspiration. Have a look at http://craftlog.org/craftingjapanese/ there are quite a few images here.

2:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just perfect for the warm weather -

3:13 pm  
Blogger yvette said...

Its great, well done, can't wait to see the next one.

2:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home