Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Feasgar math

 
a h-uile duine. An seachdain* seo, bidh mise agus mo dhuine anns an Eilean Sgitheanach. Tha an t-usige ann a h-uile lath, ach tha mi toilichte.

Ok, got that bit out of my system. LAst week we were on Ardnaurchan, Iona and Mull - it was great and so was the weather. Since coming on to Skye, it has done little except rain. Oh well. Mt son seemed to have a good time when he was with us last week, but I think he was still glad to go home on Sunday. As for me, the Gaelic this week is very hard agus tha ceann goirt agam - my head hurts!.

Tioraidh a-nis, a h-uile duine. India * 'An' no 'An-t' seachdaine? 'S e 'an-t' a th'ann tha mi a'smaoneachadh ach tha beagan Gaidhlig agam ( agus chan eil grave accent agam ...)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your so clever learning Gaelic. I'd love to try some day but don't have enough brain cells. Hope you had a wonderful time on holiday. It also rained for us when we honeymooned on Skye five years ago and I haven't been back since...shame on me! What about some photos?

4:48 pm  
Blogger Alison said...

I've always been fascinated by the Gaelic language, ever since reading the Lillian Beckwith books ("A rope in case" was one of the series....) aged about 12. I know very little about it, though. What was that about a grave accent?

7:15 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Scottish Gaelic has been standardised - both accute and grave accents used to be used, as far as I am aware. Now only the grave accent is employed - it lengthens the lenth of the vowel sound that it is applied to. A word with/without a grave accent has a different meaning.

6:41 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Length, even - seems my spelling isn't so hot in English or Gaelic

6:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home