Sunday, September 02, 2007

Who was responsible?

 
'Cos I'd like to say 'Thank you!'

Of course, I'll never know who planted the fruit trees in our garden, and I know they weren't intended for me, but I'd like to give thanks anyway. As I was gathering the apple and plums yesterday morning I had such a strong sense of continuity down the years...and I was so glad that the garden, and its bounty, is being enjoyed more than 100 years on. I don't know how long fruit trees live (ever tried Googling something like that?)and while they may not be Victorian, they aren't in their first flush of youth so I am appreciating them each and every year.

I'm going to resit the temptation to just wolf these beauties down - they are intended for jam today...and maybe a yummy plummy crumble, served with some clotted cream. Plums and crumble and cream. Oh my!

OK, moving swiftly along....I spent yesterday working on another Amy Butler skirt. I wanted to wear it out last night and decided that instead of lining it I would just apply a bias-tape finish. It's ok, Im pleased with it, but my first attempt at bias tape went plum pear-shaped. I carefully followed the instructions in Amy's book but it just didn't work. The instructions seem quite clear, so I guess I just screwed up in an easy-to-do-yet-hard-to-notice way. Oh well. In the end, amid much cursing, I cut out a facing for the waist and applied that. Picture - possibly-later.

So I guess I better go work on that jam - my son is back from uni for a while, and I'm sure if I don't get to those plums he'll do a great job on them ;0)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

That's funny, I was out picking brambles yesterday. Nature's bounty, eh? x K

11:08 am  
Blogger yvette said...

I want to see pictures of your skirt.
I haven't made any jam this year, I love home-made it tastes so much better.

7:52 am  
Blogger Sarah said...

Fruit off the tree is so delicious!
I pulled out my sewing maching yesterday and am getting ready to make up some goodies too.

2:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An established garden especially with fruit trees is a gift. Enjoty the jam, crumbles and all the delicious treats that can be made with plums.

3:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home