Friday, August 17, 2007

What's your 'JFK' moment....?

 
You know, for those of us who don't have one, what's your equivalent 'significant world event'?

Me - the death of Elvis. I still remember clearly being told by my mum. I was 11 years old, due to start High School in a day or so. I'd been out playing with a friend and rushed into the house for something. Even then, only 11, I could tell that my mum had some bad news for me. I guess she must've agonised over how to break it to me. I was devastated. It didn't help that my friend had no idea of the mortal blow just dealt, insisting that we hurry up back to our game.

Thirty years on, and I'm still saddened by his demise. I guess he was no different to the stars of today who, despite having so much material wealth, are desolate within.

He sure had feet of clay, but he'll always be The King to me.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I remember standing in a classroom in high school with my jaw hanging, watching a TV screen, as the Challenger blew up.

I remember watching Tienanman Square on TV, with goosebumps, realizing the Chinese government was hanging by a thread.

I remember watching them rip apart the Berlin Wall, and feeling optimistic about world politics for probably the only time in my life.

And I remember getting a hysterical phone call at three in the morning (Hawaiian time), telling me about the World Trade Center.

9:19 pm  
Blogger Flavaknits said...

I was visiting my family in Wales, when my cousins friend came into the house practically hysterical. Coming from a family that usually keeps quiet at catastrophic events, I wasn't sure how to react, but I do remember feeling sad, as I adored the "real" Elvis (not the fat sad one from Las Vegas - in my childishness I thought there were two Elvis')

2:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For me it was John Lennon - I was 20 years old, had not long been driving, it was pouring with rain and about 6pm and I was attempting to drive across London to meet my boyfriend from work. A bad idea even all those years ago. I was waiting at a red traffic light behind a bright red car when the news flash came on. I can remember it to this day - the rain, the darkness, the colour of the car in front, the fear of driving in heavy traffic on rain soaked roads and the questions I had about the boyfriend. Strange really why this event should be so imprinted on my mind - not being a John Lennon or Beatles fan at the time even.

3:07 pm  
Blogger Arianwen said...

it was Elvis for me I was 5 on holiday in Clacton ( a truly horrible place) when it came on the news I cried lots!

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most beautiful man ever born. I went to Graceland a few years ago and was thrilled that it was very homely, definitely not a mansion definitely a family home.

9:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home