Sunday, July 29, 2007

Holidays

 
Firstly, thanks for the advice that was given re my camera - it is definitely an error with the card, so when I have a moment or two to think about it, I shall try some of the suggestions.

I am a bit miffed that my pictures of Zurich seem to be 'lost' but let's face it. with all the awful things that happen, it shouldn't even be on a list of disappointments...

Last week I was on Skye at Sabhal Mor Ostaig, the Gaelic college. This is the third year that I have gone up for a week's tuition and I have been filled with vim and vigour! We had a wonderful tutor for the week. Therefore I am forging ahead with my Gaelic studies and have applied for An Cùrsa Adhartais - according to the college, at the end of this two year distance learning course I should be fluent......I am hoping to add another language or two to my repertoire, so soon I'll be unstoppable in about 3 languages :0)

Number Guy had a great week while I was in class - I would like to think the fact that I was in class had nothing to do with it...anyway, he went to Applecross and I was more than a little jealous, since the day was marvelous and hence the views were also. He did make it up to me though - we went to Kinloch Lodge for dinner. It was marvelous. It was expensive. So we went only once ;0)

Of course, I cannot show you any pictures from Skye since I didn't have a working camera....but having bought a new card today, I decided to try it out. Without much to inspire me, I decided on a few garden pics - here is a a wee comparison of the yarn bought in Zurich our very first clematis.

And this is kind of how I would like our back garden to look - a profusion of tumbling flowers. At the moment we have a profusion of overgrown grass and weeds

Right, back to the grindstone - I've been LaTeXing the little bit of the assignment that I've done. I can do only so much work on the PC before I need a hard copy to be able to make sense of it all. For those of you not familiar with LaTeX it is a really useful document preparation tool, which I have mentioned previously. However, one has to type in all the formatting commands and then instruct the programme to build the document. Inevitably there are errors, so then one has to go through the work and painstakingly fix these before the file document can be built. As I am a new user, I have more errors than most. One it's done, though, a rather nice PDF is created which I can print and read.

But only once it's done....

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger David T. Macknet said...

Such is the life of LaTeX, truly. Painfully. But ... after this latest version of Office to come out? LaTeX sounds downright appealing! 20 years of MSOffice learning, down the tubes in one upgrade to 2007. Yup. P'raps it's a good idea.

3:13 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

So, you bought yarn in Zurich- knew you'd come clean eventually. Glad you and your other half enjoyed Skye.

5:33 pm  
Blogger Roobeedoo said...

Skye! You lucky woman! I have plans to learn Gaelic myself one day, so I might meet you at the summer school one of these years!

10:33 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed Skye - even if it was for very different reasons from those I enjoyed it for ! Studying ??? In the holidays ???

Got your news from Yvette. Goodness. Given your post tho' I'm assuming you're finishing your assignment anyway - what commitment ! Only just started mine today. oops.

We didn't make it to the Kinloch Lodge but did have a very nice lunch at Flodigarry Country House Hotel which I can highly recommend :0)

8:12 pm  
Blogger Flavaknits said...

Love the photos of your flowers, very pretty. From reading blogs, I see you've got another knitter addicted to spinning! Twisty Fibres will have you on commission. Followed the link to the Gaelic college, and its mini-tutorial, was good fun, but don't think I'm a natural at the language learning m'larkey! lol.

2:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pictures! So glad that you got the camera sorted out! That clematis is amazing and lovely in it's crinkly purpleness...
hope you're well!

6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home