Friday, July 13, 2007

Galvanised into action, sewing

 
Isn't it amazing how an impending visit can move things up the 'to do list' in a most dramatic fashion?

In a week or so, a friend is arriving to give me a sewing lesson (which I'll tell you more about after the event, obviously) and I just couldn't put IT off any longer. The Grand Tidy - which is a bit of an understatement, let me tell you. Here are a couple of shots now that I am about 90% done Now I haven't hoovered yet, or tidied up completely, but it's a lot better. So much so that I don't have the nerve to show you what it was like before...

See those drawers? They hold some, but by no means all, of my yarn stash. I haven't shown you the fibre or fabric - think I'll leave that for when I'm feeling stronger ;0)

But this hasn't been the only tidying in progress. Y'know when you have so many things on the go that your mind just refused point blank to have anything more to do with your knitting? When even the thought of what you'll have to go through just to locate a project is enough to make you lie down in a darkened room for days? No? And you call yourself a knitter....? Anyway, it was like that chez moi - between the chaos in my craft room, and the chaos in the knitting corner something was going to have to give. So I've also been 'rationalising my knitting', which is an oxymoron if ever I heard one.... I now have a basket, albeit a fairly large one, with all of my works in progress contained therein. Well, the ones I could find anyway. The good thing is that I feel mentally 'uncluttered now'. So much so that when the Early Childhood & Society thingy is out of the way I am going to sew this: Isn't that just the best fabric? Combined with this '60s dress pattern I thinks it's gonna be grrreat ;0)

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have been having a cull of stash here myself as well as a massive tidy up. I thought it was tome to do something when I could no longer walk over the floor. And I complain about my sons room !?

4:50 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I am SUCH an amateur. Good to know. I'd been wondering why people put themselves on a yarn diet. And how they could keep on knitting without buying yarn for years.

I can pick up my "stash" with one arm. In, like, two boxes. Banker's boxes.

I'll get there, I suppose.

10:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

India that fabric is fantastic. Where did you find it? Look forward to seeing the finished dress. Love Helen

9:05 am  
Blogger Sarah Nopp said...

I really admire that storage wall. Can you tell me about it? I am renewing my yarn obsessing... I just got a floor loom- wheeeee!
But I don't know how to use it, so until I learn, I picked up knitting again lol

5:44 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

VERY neat and tidy, Missus Wummin. What are you learning about in your sewing lesson?
Off to read about your workshops now.

10:45 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

The units are from Ikea - the down side is that each lid has a great moth-hole in the top! I cover them up and hope for the best....
India

10:00 pm  
Blogger yvette said...

Its lovely all pretty and tidy, I LOVE that fabric and the dress is very cute too. See ya soon.

9:24 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the term "rationalising my knitting", I did the same thing about a year ago and it was quite liberating, I firmly stuck thereafter to knitting one (well two, if one is a big one) project at a time and have been delighted with how much I have completed but somehow the last few months have seen a couple of things cast aside, the sort of things that aren't going well but to rip would be to fail.... I think I may need another session of "knitting rationalization".

11:35 am  
Blogger Frau Vau said...

the fabric's gorgeous!
it will make a beautiful and hip dress :)

1:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home