Thursday, May 24, 2007

Not everyone's cup of macha

 
But I love it. Pink and green in all forms - dusky pink with soft olive, or 'crazy-ass bright' like this Hippari jacket that I've just finished.

This took about 6 hours from cutting to finish, done in 2x3hour blocks. The pattern is from Making Kimono and Japanese Clothing . While I have been waiting (im)patiently for Vianne to arrive, I decided to sew a few things that require no fitting (and mostly straight-line sewing!).

The patterns are in the back of the book, and they must be drawn to scale. It was a minor nuisance for impatient folk like me but the pattern was clear. The instructions for constructing the hippari were clear and I really enjoyed sewing this. In the photo below you can just see that this was taken before I finished the last part of the sleeve seams.

As Number Guy pointed out (bless him) the style of the jacket does make me look a bit on the chunky side, but I don't mind. I felt that my sartorial elegance (second time, woohoo!) really shone out yesterday when I combined it with my denim Thai Fisher Skirt and pink Doc Martens :0)

I did have one moment of doubt when I realised what I was doing last night - heading for my first Zen meditation meeting, as I continue my exploration of Buddhism. Was I going to look like some kind of nutter who had weird ideas about what Zen Buddhists look like?

Yes, possibly. But I still didn't care :0)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Elaine said...

Hey - looking cool! I'm busy hunting for knitting patterns with this kind of style - great minds and the like!

I wrote you a huge email, which took me ages with my sore hand *sigh* but Outlook wouldn't send it and froze my computer. So ... condensed version - thinking of you :0)

Glad to hear things are moving forward with illnesses and diagnosis

xx

12:43 pm  
Blogger Shelby said...

Pretty!! I love the pink/green combo too.

Sorry to hear about your health- I hope things look up soon. I'm glad you finally have a diagnosis though.

And thanks for your comments on my other blog- I appreciate the support!

1:59 pm  
Blogger Allegra said...

The jacket is great! I love the color combo too. I just put that Japanese clothing book on my Amazon wish list!

1:59 pm  
Blogger yvette said...

It is fabulous, I love pink with any other colour. Glad to hear you got a diagnosis, hope you are feeling well. I have done your pattern just have to get it in the post.

2:57 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely jacket - I'm impressed! Sorry to hear about your health problems. Lets hope your on the road to recovery soon.

4:53 pm  
Blogger Roobeedoo said...

Very nice indeed! And I really really like that thai skirt - so much so I had a dream about making one last night! Thanks for visiting my blog - I have put details of the pattern book up there in my post today "Linen and Cotton".

8:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home