Sunday, May 20, 2007

cool, real cool

 
For my first A-line skirt I struggled with an invisible zip. It's kinda cool, and I did a not bad job at all - really, it looks just like it's meant to. Except the very top, but that was a learning experience :0)

But - and it's a big 'but' - it was so hard to sew right next to the teeth without actually sewing into them. And yep, I had the correct zipper foot. But then I saw this: zipper tutorial. And it really works, as you can see.

Again, I learnt a couple of things. Like I need the top of the zip to be further down than I had it - sitting 'flush' with the top means it doesn't sit as neatly as it could, and this has confirmed what the problem with the top of the invisible zip but hey, I'm a novice. I'll get it right next time.

And another good thing - Number Guy was having some issues with the hem as he was helping me to mark it. Result? I'm getting my Christmas present early....Any guesses?

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger yvette said...

Nice job, pretty fabric too. Now we need a picture of you wearing it!

7:31 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Thanks Yvette - I can't wear it until I have fixed the hemming problem. My early present may help with this. Let's hope it's in stock....
India

7:42 pm  
Blogger Kathleen said...

You gettin a mannequin??? Way hay if you are!

8:02 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Kathleen, you might think that, I couldn't possibly comment ....;0)
India

8:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done ! We'll have you making wedding dresses before you know it :0)

Heather

ps the top of the zip is always the hardest part to get right even for people who've been doing it for years !

6:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I also meant to say on the subject of hems - I inherited a fabulous vintage 50's device from my Great Aunt which consists of a small stand with a puffer mechanism attached and a rubber tube with a squeeze ball on the end. You set the stand to the required height, fill the puffer with powdered chalk and then put your skirt on and turn slowly squeezing the rubber ball (oooh er missus !) as you go and it puffs a chalk line at the same height all round the bottom of the skirt. Ingenious ? - but entirely dependent on you standing ramrod straight which is difficult as you have to bend over to squeeze the ball. As it were ..... this'll be an interesting google search result won't it ? !

6:55 pm  
Blogger Green Kitchen said...

I'm happy that the tutorial helped you. Since I'm new to garment sewing it seems a little bold for me to do a tutorial. But, hey, why not? ;)

6:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home