Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Subjugated Wife

 
AKA The Surrendered Wife. I know that it takes all kinds, but please, if I start behaving in like a Stepford Wife, hit me on the head and administer emergency Yarn Therapy.

Did any folks in the UK see the documentary the other night? I think I'd seen something about this before. I think that what some of my views on the subject are summed up to a certain extent here..

Breaks my heart a tiny bit to think of all the women who have struggled for equality and autonomy, and those still living a life of subjugation, only for this kind of behaviour to be seen as laudable.

But that's democracy, so I shouldn't complain.... (tongue firmly in cheek)

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG - this woman is a nutter! Who let her publish a book. Heaven help us. The more frightening thing is that perhaps some women are taking her insane advice. If she was a Muslim we'd be calling her an extremist but she's white and probably middle class so that must be ok............don't get me started or I won't know when to stop!

4:09 pm  
Blogger David T. Macknet said...

There are entire cable channels dedicated to twits like this. It's just that there's a sucker born every day....

7:23 pm  
Blogger Elaine said...

This is quite scary to read - I had no idea, I've never heard of her before. And this is a popular book?!

8:15 pm  
Blogger Brian Carnell said...

"This is quite scary to read - I had no idea, I've never heard of her before. And this is a popular book?!"

Yes, this book sold a crapload of copies when it was first published and for awhile Laura Doyle was on all the usual circuits.

I think part of the appeal to this book is the same as the "Mars and Venus" nonsense...it offers extremely simplistic answers to complicated relationship issues.

I mean, sure if we could just suppress our ego and self-interest and become doormats, we could improve *all* of our relationships.

5:05 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

I was looking for a book on Amazon UK and there it is - one of their best sellers!

5:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home