Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Rose and vanilla cupcakes.....part 2

 
top view of rose petal decorated cupcake Yum. In the end I did a bit of experimenting and settled for rose essence in the batter and vanilla essence in the icing, and then as you can see I decorated with the petals.

Two points for improvement. I used dried egg powder and you can tell.. Last winter Mr India and I purchased some dried free range egg. We decided that we could never knowingly eat battery egg and wondered what would happen to organic free range should there be an outbreak of bird flu. This seeems to us to be a reasonable compromise. There is a definite difference in texture when the powder is used. It is drier and more reminiscent of the texture of shop bought cake .I added more liquid to make up the difference but next time I am going to make it extra-sloppy and see what difference it makes.

Point two - my buttercream sucks. Well, at least in terms of texture. It's too hard. I want soft, buttery clouds - not something that I need to attack with a pick axe. Any suggestions?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger yvette said...

Hmmmm, yummy, now I need to go and buy some rose essence and petals.
Do you add milk to the butter icing or just butter and sugar?

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always had good luck with the following recipe:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter softened
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbl milk

That gives me a fluffy soft frosting. It can get a crunchy crust (not hard, just stiff...) if left out too long, but usually stays nice and soft.
Hope it helps~
Your Secret Pal

2:20 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the pick axe buttercream and no advice really apart from to irritatingly say, it's never happened to my buttercream, tee hee. But my, they look fantastic, so, so pretty, I would be happy to eat them no matter what the taste was because they just look so cute.

7:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum - it looks good. I have never eaten any thing to my knowledge flavoured with rose. I shall have to look out for some essence and give it a try.

4:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home