Friday, October 13, 2006

Feminism

 
I was interested by what Akrylic said on her blog about feminism, particularly the bit about ' Mrs'

Any of you fellow gaelic-learning sufferers will understand why her use of 'the genitive' had me running for the hill ;0) When I recovered myself, I considered the reasons behind the taking of Mr India's name, given that I am so, erm, independent (or just plain cussed).

When I was very young and very stupid, I married husband number one. Well, to be fair, maybe the marrying him wasn't stupid, but the staying with him was . Anyway, being an unliberated kind of gal, I took his name. Along came by darling son. When I finallyleft his father, we both kept the name, probably out of habit. When Master India was old enough we discussed the merits of a name change but elected to keep what we had.

My first instinct when I remarried was not to change my name. But then I thought about it - if I had kept the name of a real jerk, surely it would be a huge insult not to take Mr India's name? In the end, I decided to compromise. It wasn't down to Mr I, it was my decision. I kept the first name, as it is a link to my son (not his dad) and then I added Mr I's name to it.

I guess that is what I like about feminism - I can make all of my own choices. They din't have to make sense to anyone else. Most of the time, they don't even have to make sense to me.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes perfect sense. I like the fact that I have a choice in the matter, and if I get marrid I will probably take my partner's surname - I feel much closer to him and his family than I ever have to my dad's family, so it seems logical for me to do that. Having the choice is the key.

3:56 pm  
Blogger Artis-Anne said...

I totally agree with re the name thing I too was in the same situation and thought I would never again take on a mans name but in theend, like yourself I choose to take my beloved's name for much the same reason and I am proud of it . Its all about having the RIGHT to choose isn't it ?

6:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home