Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Essex Girl

 
One of the (many) wonderful things about my husband is the way that he understands what might, for some, be some major eccentricities. Last weekend wasn't too bad, though - just another major trip down memory lane.

Although I was born and brought up in Scotland, from about age 1 to age 6 I lived in Wales, Sculthorpe (Norfolk) and Great Dunmow. Dunmow is where I have my second-oldest memories. When we visited about 4 years ago, it became clear that the complex was an old insitution of some sort - what we didn't realise is that it was in fact a workhouse . When we lived there it was no des res, let me tell you - it did have the luxury of an indoor toilet, but a bath meant sharing the tin one with my brother. Once a week, I imagine, probably at the weekend. As I wondered around the buildings the memories came flooding back. Overwhelming, really.

Next was a wander around Waldgrooms, where we went up in the world upon leaving the workhouse. Had a great knatter with a neighbour who lived there when I was a wee lass. It was great to have my memories confirmed. I also had one or two little surprises, but I'm keeping those to myself.... :0)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very strange to go back to places you knew well as a child (did a bit of that myself this summer) but it's good too to bring back memories and see them with adult eyes :0)

11:23 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tin baths - I remember them well, I played in it after bathtime pretending it was a boat.
Mind you, not many (modern)people can claim to have lived in a workhouse!
Hope you are keeping well - M

5:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We went to a workhouse too this year, no so much as a trip down memory lane but to learn more about the history of them. My grandfather was born in one - in 1896, and lived his early years there. We couldn't visit that actual one as it no longer exists, but visited another. I found it facinating and very moving. I did not realize until this past summer that many of them were still in use well in to the 1970's.

3:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home