Friday, February 10, 2006

Meet Norman

 
And a fine specimen he is, too. He's one of a number of Hebridean tups (yep, he's got all of his dangly bits intact) living the life of Riley with my mates G&J. Here's another of my mates, Conna (?Cona). Leastways, I hope she's a mate - she's more like a bear than a dog.... The sheep were not cooperating (!) so it's kind of hard to get an accurate idea of her size, but believe me, you would not want this pup to take a dislike to you.

I've been too busy working to do much knitting this week. I did find enough time to be childish, though. I don't like a certain organisation dedicated to recovering money from students. It's not that I object to paying, but the number of incompetencies beggars belief. The ultimate one (actually, there are worse but you might not believe me) was when they scared the hell out of my neighbour when they sent a private detective to find me. Apparently I was lost. Even though they had written to me the week before confirming that they had my new address....So, today, I felt it was only right that I tell them 'I may be recording this conversation for training purposes and fact verification'. They also get a bit phased when I respond to their threats by telling them to 'Go right ahead and take me to court.' They don't seem to have a response to that in their script. Well, what else can you do when you are bang up to date, in fact, ahead of the payment schedule but they still can't get things sorted out ? So, childish, yes, but the only way to keep some vestige of sanity when forced to communicate with them. I'm about to settle up early - wonder what I'll be threatened with when I do that ?

I'm hoping to see 'Memoirs of a geisha' over the weekend. A tad risky, having read and enjoyed the book a number of years ago. Still, nothing ventured. I'm also going to cast on Odessa -wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the book and also the biography of the geisha the book was based on, but I've avoided the movie out of fear that it won't reflect them. My daughter saw it and said it had the wrong and happy ending, so I'm avoiding it again. Sound like a masochist, don't I?

5:58 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hi Linda, from what I remember, it isn't the wrong ending - it's just cut short. I think that in the book she ends up in America with a son? I wouldn't say that the ending in the movie is ecstatically happy, more a reflection that she couldn't have everything she wanted, since she was geisha. On the whole, I thought it was a great movie, but like all movies, it couldn't follow the plot 100%

2:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home