Thursday, January 11, 2007

Animal welfare - if you could only do ONE thing.

 
Stop buying battery eggs and chicken. Here's a website to go visit - The Hens House seems to have some really useful information.

I personally try to buy organic free range. I do buy products made from free range eggs, such as food products from M&S. One of the reasons that I buy there from time to time is that I don't have to worry about 'sneaky' battery egg. And I only ever eat organic free range chicken. HAve to say it was only a couple of years ago that the penny dropped - that the chicken I was eating must be coming from battery hens. Doh!

I know that some people think that organic food is a lifestyle choice. Maybe for some people it is. But if for no other reason than animal welfare,if you change nothing else about your diet, please stop buying battery hen products

India

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Flavaknits said...

Soon you'll be getting that egglu and a few hens for the back garden!
I keep thinking about it but am worried due to the number of foxes about (and a small boy!)
Its gonna happen sometime tho!

8:18 pm  
Blogger Faerynuff said...

It is a lifestyle choice to eat decent, cruelty free meat and dairy. A lot people are not ready to give up their meat dominant diet. We have, and we simply eat less meat now so that we can afford to buy cruelty free, most of the time from local producers as we are lucky to have a lot of organic farms around us.

In fact I gag if I realise I'm not eating good foodstuffs.

9:42 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely ! And I don't know whether it's all in my mind but I think it tastes better too. Tho' increasingly I struggle with meat at all - I'm just losing my appetite for it. I used to be veggie then started eating meat again 12 years ago when I was pregnant but I think I'm reverting back :0)

10:04 am  
Blogger Alison said...

Three cheers! I too would far rather buy less meat and know that the welfare of the animals has been paramount during their life. And, in fact, that's what we do.

7:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home