Thursday, January 25, 2007

Matters of conscience

 

Some discrimination is laudable. I think that rapists and muggers should be discriminated against. They wouldn't be welcome in my home, nor the organisation where I work. I don't think they should be allowed to adopt children.But since when did being gay = unsuitable parent?

There are many children in want of a loving home. There are not-so-many kind, caring and very suitable adults wishing to give them a home. What bearing does one's sexual orientation have on one's ability to parent? Am I the only one to know that there are damaged, vulnerable children brought up within a marriage that is loveless and wrought with violence. A marriage certificate isn't like an MOT , it doesn't guarantee the 'child-worthiness' of the couple.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

I agree with you 100% that a marriage certificate isn't a guarantee of good parenting, and that sexual orientation is no indicator of that ability either. I am thoroughly delighted that the government has made the steps it has towards eliminating the pre-existing adoption descrimination. I've cut the rest of this comment, because it was getting far too long and in any case, posting potentially inflammatory comments on others' blogs is rude in my opinion. The rest will become a post on my own blog, I think.

11:43 am  
Blogger sheep#100 said...

One might posit that a balance of male and female parenting is healthier for a child than strictly male or female parenting.

3:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home