Monday, September 24, 2007

If you look closely..

 
You just might see the bees.

I am past the first 'hive' section, which ends at the green lifeline (I usually 'fly' without a safety net, but believe me, working lace like this with three mad moggies leaping around makes lifelines essential. Don't ask me how I know - just take my word for it).

Apologies for the bad photo (I keep promising I'll do something about my poor photography skills, but I guess I'm all talk...)but I did want to share this awesome bit of knitting design. When you look at the chart, the bees just don't seem that obvious. And if I hadn't knit this myself I would assume that each wing must be made from a double yarnover, but no - it is merely (!) the clever placement of successive YOs.

The swarm section arrived just in time - I was getting to that stage where I was 'done' with the hives. The bees should be fairly rewarding to knit - I love the way they magically appear, so I guess that'll keep me going for a while - it's a bit like knitting with variegated yarn. You just can't stop knitting as each section reveals itself

When you get to the end of the first half of the stole, you pick up from the provisional cast-on and then work the other half, thus having symmetry. I don't usually mind about that, but in this case I reckon it is essential.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

i see the bees. neat!

2:33 am  
Blogger yvette said...

That stole is so gorgeous, I want one, when things are a little calmer here.
I want to see pinafore pictures, please.
Good luck with the german lessons.

6:49 am  
Blogger Flavaknits said...

Oohh! Looking good!

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home