Sunday, November 27, 2005

'S e eilean breagha a th'ann

 
Talking about An t-Eilean Sgitheanach, of course, as us Gaelic speakers call it... Well, it's what someone who has beagan Gaidhlig calls/spells it. You've no idea what a difficult language it is - and don't tell me that 2 year old kids can speak it. Spent the weekend up at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig, the Gaelic College on Skye, and as usual was completely swept away by the scenery. I'm undertaking a distance learning course and as well as weekly 'phone tutorials there are 2 weekend courses as part of each Earran. Now reminding myself that I'm lucky to have a job, even though it's not on Skye.... On the knitting front, took Clapotis with me, one of the 1001 knits. Also finished the multi-directional scarf for my DH (amongst many a dark hint about being grateful for ALL gifts received at Christmas, and isn't it WONDERFUL when someone spends TIME creating a MASTERPIECE for their loved one). Wonder if he's guessed what he's getting? Pics coming soon, but I need to toddle off to bed - even sharing the driving doesn't make an 8-hour-journey-in-the-dark-on-windy-roads-with-snow-and-ice relaxing.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen said...

Hiya, welcome back. Did you learn tons?

8:07 am  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Well, I'm sure I've forgotten tons...It was great to be up there, thought. Back to reality

8:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Skye sounds wonderful - I still have wonderful memories of a holiday there 10 years ago - the scenery is magnificent.
Now will you be using knitting patterns written in gaelic/gaidhlig !
Mhairi

8:04 pm  
Blogger Twelfthknit said...

Hmm, might be just a little longer...

9:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous. Its the only language I have any interest in learning, but no one to teach it here in the Antipodes. One day I'll get to Skye...By coincidence I reread my copy of Highlanders-a history of the Gaels by John MacLeod who lives on Harris, last weekend. I should have been knitting but was too tired.

9:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home